Monday, August 17, 2009

Land Rover - a man's best friend?

How hard can it be to take a 200Tdi engine out of an old Land Rover 110 and put it into a Land Rover 127 to replace its thirsty and increasingly sick V8? Simple said one expert, no problem said another, it’s just a question of lifting one out and putting the other in said the third. Should take you 3 or 4 days max said a knowing friend. And everyone agreed that it’s done all the time and is a simple job........................





Today is day number 15 and night number 6. By night I mean one of those days that starts at 8am and finishes after midnight. Those are the days when Graham is so tired that he grinds right through a vital cable.





And has it been simple? Perhaps we are the only people in the world who own a specially adapted Land Rover into which nothing, absolutely NOTHING, fits normally. So everything has been re-adapted, lengthened, shortened, twisted, bent, moved, new bits made and old bits cut out.

And what do I contribute? I take out endless cups of tea, adore, encourage, hold spanners and crawl underneath with a torch every now and then to retrieve washers or nuts that have dropped through so the work can carry on uninterrupted above.

And in 3 days time it needs to be ready for a bush trip with visitors who are arriving from the UK....................... simple, no problem, 3 days max!

1 comment:

hoodfarm said...

Hello to you both from West cornwall, By great chance I met Tom recently,he came to stay here one evening. He told me a little of you and of course gave me your blog address.Im very glad he did so too.There is much to comment upon,I thought however there is little as pertinent to my life than your predicament with the Discovery. I too have taken on such conversions,the last in fact ,fitting an Iveco 2,5T into an elderly MK 2 Transit,(Bonkers) there was in fact no assurance that it would actually fit in anyway.I do feel for you,especially if you are on your own with it.
You are quite a remarkable couple very obviously,I intend over the coming days to read all of your stories in detail, I have a small Herd of Sucklers and a limited background in farming ,most important of all I sense, a wonderment at the lives of others less priveledged (is that the rightword!),if only I were 20 yrs younger,I may well have been offering my time to you.

best wishes from blighty
alan Horton ,at HoodFarm,Penponds,Camborne.